HOTEL / SHORT-TERM RENTAL TAX
NOTICE TO PERSONS ENGAGED IN THE BUSINESS OF
OWNING, OPERATING, OR MANAGING A
HOTEL OR SHORT-TERM RENTAL
Be advised that on June 6, 2022 the Village of Russells Point Council passed Ordinance 22-1198 titled “Amending and Restating Section Chapter 183 of the Village of Russells Point Codified Ordinances”. This ordinance becomes effective on July 6, 2022 and requires every person engaged in the business of owning, operating, or managing a hotel or short-term rental to collect from all guests and transient guests, and pay to the Village, a convention and rental tax on all transactions.
Owners are required to:
1. Register the hotel or short-term rental by August 6, 2022, or within thirty (30) days after commencing such business, whichever is later.
2. Post the “Transient Occupancy Registration Certificate” in a conspicuous place on the hotel or short-term rental premises.
3. Charge each guest or transient guest a tax equal to a total of six percent (6%) of the transaction. (This consists of a 3% Convention Tax and a 3% Rental Tax)
4. Separately state these charges on each bill, statement, or other similar document when occupancy is initially arranged or contracted.
5. Charges are required to be billed on all transactions starting August 1, 2022.
6. Complete the “Hotel, Short-Term Rental and Convention Tax Return” and pay the collected excise tax on a monthly basis and is due by the 15th of the month following the month of collection. Payments not received by the due date will incur penalties.
Hotel, Short-Term Rental Tax Return
REMEMBER ALL BUSINESSES OPERATING
IN THE VILLAGE OF RUSSELLS POINT ARE ALSO REQUIRED TO
FILE AND PAY A ONE-PERCENT (1%) LOCAL INCOME TAX.